Monday, March 12, 2012

the oh-so successful ski season!

So hello everyone! We are in the middle of March, and honestly, spring cannot come soon enough. The weather is slightly starting to improve, and we are itching for the sunshine and warmer temperatures. that being said, it wouldn't be right if i didn't dedicate some time to the "oh-so successful skiing season!" ok, i am using the term skiing very, very lightly....its more like rolling down a mountain, which is a new winter sport that i have absolutely mastered! I have been fortunate to go skiing a couple of times this season. that isnt really much skiing time, but no matter how bad I am, I am really liking this thing people call skiing. I definitely feel like a fish out of the pacific ocean, and have gotten to new depths of self-humiliation, but i still love it. That's saying something because the first time i went skiing was last year when I moved here. So let's begin with the tales of my "skiing".

I was lucky to book two skiing weekends in a row. So the first weekend, we were all trying to get to Ishgyll in Austria. Supposed to be great skiing and great apres-skiing. So a few weeks ago, Andrea and I were looking up hotel availability in Ishgyll. Couldn't find anything, so we changed our search to St. Anton. We used this internet hotel booking site that told us that there was a hotel only 30km from St. Anton. We decided to book it right away because we didnt think we could find anything closer. So Andrea, me, Alex, and Vicki decided to spend this great weekend skiing in St. Anton. Well, funny thing is that we were not even close to St. Anton. It didnt hit any of us until 2 days before we were heading off, when one of us decided to finally look at a map....hahaha we booked ourselves in a hotel that was more like 100km from St. Anton. OOOOPS!! well we decided to go anyway, and ended up in the very small mountain town of Lechtal. Imagine driving at night along curvy mountain roads, with snow that was higher than my car! it was probably a good thing we couldnt see where we were going. well we finally get to the hotel. it reminded me a lot of the hotel we stayed at in maria alms back in the summer. so checked in and headed to the bar, where we were 1 of 5 other patrons. the next day our ski adventure began. andrea went cross-country skiing and vicki was putting skis on for the first time. so alex and i decided we would take the lift up to the first blue slope. yes, we stayed on the mini lift. that was perfectly fine for me. alex and i are about the same level...and we had a blast. we rolled down the mountain a couple of times, but it was actually pretty good. and we enjoyed what was apres-ski, although it definitely something to be desired. we finally made our way back to the hotel, and had dinner at the only other restaurant in town, which was part of the hotel across the street. i think lights out was around 10pm or something. anyway it was a good, relaxing ski weekend. alex and i got the chance to ski some and i came back to zurich feeling good and feeling pumped that i could make it down the mountain without any problems...OH MAN, was i so wrong?!?! more about that later....anyway here are some pictures from the skiing weekend in Lechtal, Austria




so now we come to the legendary "ski" weekend in st. moritz. we all decided we were going to go down to st. moritz to celebrate eddy's birthday. so in theory, this was a brillant idea. what better way to spend a wintry weekend that on the slopes and enjoying the company of your closest friends?! Ok we make our way down Friday morning, all of us motivated to get right on the slopes. So we dressed in our ski clothes and drove directly to the slopes. We all take the gondola up and the boys convince me that i should follow them to the top. No mind that it was a red slope. There were 5 of them convincing me that i could handle this slope. And of course, like an idiot, i believed them. So i get to the top of this red slope, started off ok, and then all broke down. I had a crazy fall, and then the panic attack began to settle in! OH man, it took me 2.5 hours to get down the slope!!! there was a moment where i told the boys to go ahead and i literally just sat there for 30 min because i was so scared. then i spent most of the time on my backside or face down just to get down the slope!!! to be fair, the boys were really great and took turns to help me down. ive realized that skiing is 50% mental, and once i had freaked myself out, that was it. HAHAHA just thinking about it makes me laugh hysterically. i wasnt laughing at the time, but i can only imagine what all these swiss skiers were thinking as they passed me on the slope. i looked like bambi on ice...THANK GOD none of the boys took videos or photos...although i wouldnt blame them if they did! So by the time i got down the slope once, i was done for the day. I was so shaken that i really couldnt get back on the slopes. So Andrea and i decided to chill out at the cafe down the hill, and we would meet the boys back at the parking lot. We take the last gondola down...and you won't believe this, WE GOT STUCK IN THE GONDOLA!!!! oh man, my nerves had hit the limit. I cant believe we were stuck in there for 30 minutes or so! Seriously the last thing i needed. But Friday night was a lot of fun. We had fondue at a youth hostel next to our hotel and then went out on the town in St. Moritz. Went to a couple of places and ended up at Vivai - a very swanky club in St. Moritz.

So saturday was another day on the slopes. So you would think that the events of the day before would keep me as far as possible from the slopes...but it didnt! In that sense, i was so proud of myself. I think I might be a bit mad that I wanted to get back on the skis! Well nevertheless i decided that it was definitely worth me taking a private lesson to get back to basics. So i enrolled into ski school. This was a whole other sight to see....as i was waiting for my ski instructor, i realized that the all of the students around me could not be older than 5!!! hahahaha here i was taking lessons with 5 year olds....and most of them skied better than me!!! well the lesson actually went really well. Maybe it was the comfort that i had an expert skier with me. I managed to get down some more blues. So moral of the skiing story - i just got to practice some more. Let's see how long i can keep this up. Here are some pics of the crazy weekend in St. Moritz








Saturday night was another crazy night in St. Moritz. This time Eddy treated all of us to a great dinner at Cascade, and then we headed to Kings Club - another swanky establishment in St. Moritz. The next day I left in the morning and went straight to the airport for a course we were running in Hamburg! CRAZY! But all in all both of my ski weekends were fun. Looking back, they were actually hilarious. Definitely entertaining for those who watched me try to ski! It's ok, I can admit that there are things in life that i am not good at....!!

But other than that, I have been traveling quite a bit for work. a lot going on! But I have to say that I am really loving the new training job. It is really giving me exposure to so many new things...love it! so work continues, and we are trying to enjoy the winter weekends here in CH. no complaints on my side. working hard and playing hard, just like life should be.

hope everyone is doing well. until next time! ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment